Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Our visit trip part 1

December 24. Our flight was at 7:00 am to Atlanta where we were would connect to Guatemala City on Christmas Eve. The evening before (Dec. 23) we packed ferviously and we both did not sleep well as our neighbors behind us decided to throw a HUGE party (lets not forget our nerves). When I say Huge, I mean Huge It was 2:00am and they were still partying and we could clearly hear them in our home with the tv and radio on. Too bad we weren't invited. I eventually had to call the cops when they starting running in our yard. Anyways, we get to the airport and I buy some neat Florida stuff for M (K's foster mom) . As we are boarding Brad realizes he forgot his cell phone. Mind you we had set up his cellphone with an international plan as it has international capabilities. We at this time were not sure about my phone. Our flight to Atlanta ran a half an hour late so when we got to Atlanta and given that we had a short layover they had already given our seats away. We still manage to get on the flight. We board and I must admit that I kept looking around at everyone wondering what am I doing??? I hope that does not make me bad. It was so overwhelming. B turned to me and said "well this is it we are going to see our little girl" and it was at that time that I realized that I had not been breathing. I get my IPOD out and relax. As we start descending all you see is green. It was beautiful. We get to Guatmala City and go through customs. It was really easy!! Stamp here Stamp there...then the luggage saga begins. Note to those traveling to Guatemala take a carryon with extra clothes for everyone including the baby.. Now we did not loose our luggage but others did. It was a little crazy as the luggage cart broke down so we waited over an hour to get our luggage. Our flight arrived at 1pm. We finally get our luggage and head out looking for the Westin's shuttle bus. And we continue to look..and look.. I call the Westin they say they will be there shortly. We exchange our money and wait and wait. We stayed behind the glass doors as I felt it was safer since there was a lot of people waiting for families and quite frankly I was a little overwhelmed and tired at the moment. Ok I admit I was being a little neurotic. Anyways B spots the shuttle and we head out of the airport. As we head to the shuttle there are a group of children who begin tapping and asking us for money. I had bought a whole bunch of candy for the kids since I expected this. It was nice and awful at the same time to see how happy M&Ms and Snickers bars made them. In the shuttle we met a wonderful women A, who was on her pickup trip. Trust me when I say that A, was a lifesavor!!! Now by this time it is 2:45 and Ms. K is suppose to be dropped off between 3:00 and 4:00 pm. and we are just leaving for the hotel. Talk about getting your heart rate up. We get to hotel and check in and we are in our room at 3:10. At 3:15 our phone rings and I hear " Mrs. G, this is C, your facilitator, I have your baby in the waiting room" . I could not speak for a moment and I gather myself and say "we will be right down." My hands are shaking now. I look at B and he has tears in his eyes and I say don't start yet and give him a hug. We get our camera and head down to the elevator. B was following me and I head in the wrong direction. Go figure!! B laughs and we make to the elevator and get to the Lobby area. The Westin has two lobby areas. Which one do you think we went to ...you guessed it the wrong one. Anyways B spots everyone and we head towards them. It seemed like time was going very slow at this point. Before I can reach K our faciliator C, steps in front of me and says HI, I am C, at this point you could be the pope for all I care I want to see K...I smile at C and say my greetings and try to look at the beautiful bundle in M's arms, she says "here is your baby she is beautiful but she is sick do you still want her?"......

7 comments:

Foxxy One said...

Is she ok???? AAACCCKKK - don't leave me hanging here!!!!

Betsy said...

Thanks for the advice. And? How was the rest of the trip? On on the edge of my seat!

Kristin said...

Oh my goodness...don't leave me in suspense! I can't wait to hear the rest of the story!

Barb said...

Oh no you didn't...you can't stop now! More! :)

Erica said...

AACCCK! I'm anxious for part II!

Lemme guess, your girl has adenovirus or rotavirus? I hope she is all better now, and I hope your visit wasn't too stressful!

Away2me said...

Wow, you aren't suppose to leave those kind of cliff hangers!

Lisa said...

How cruel :) Do tell more soon!!!