Monday, April 23, 2007

I will be the first to admit that I am supporter of women's rights. I believe that we should provide more support for women in all areas. However, I am defintely not, shall I say, over the edge with my opinions. I have learned in my years that there are times that one must keep your mouth shut. Unfortantely this would be easeir if I did not encounter stero types and a form of prejudice which are surprisedly still present. Honestly it drives me crazy. I am reallly amazed at some comments that I get in the courtroom. The most recent event occurred last Thursday. I will also admit that maybe I was not in the best of moods that morning but anyways..Let me preface this by saying that on this day it was what we call a master hearing. Essentially it is a first come first serve basis for the attorneys. Anyways, lets go to the scene shall we.
Court Room full of at least 100 people. Around 15 attorneys congregating with one another trying to determine in what order we are going. I mean we really could resolve this by having a list that we all sign when we get there but that would be too easy. Sorry I digress.
Attonrey G
: why don't you go first?
Me
I think you were here before me?
Attorney G:
Well all you women ask for rights. Isn't it your right to go first.
ME:
Uhm excuse me?
Attorney A: cutting in to save Attorney G as he knows me well
Dennise I think you here before me.
Me:
I believe I was..
Attorney G
Women always talk about rights let her go first
.
Judge (who is my hero btw)
Ms. H
(as a fellow Puerto Rican he refuses to acknowledge my marriage, it realy does come from a place of love)
Can I begin MY COURTROOM
ME:
sure your honor! I, a WOMAN and more importantly an attorney, will go first!

I took this picture of Kiley yesterday and I just love it.

No comments: