Friday, February 09, 2007

The evaluation went well. The evaluator was a woman named Cassandra. She was fantastic. It was a lot of questions about what Kiley is doing and saying. There was some interaction with her but mostly it was a lot of questions directed to me. She did observe Kiley for some time. Kiley of course thought this was just great, I mean after all she was the center of the conversation. She kept walking back and forth with her Dora ball. In the end she did find that Kiley was delayed. She found that she is more than 25% delayed in her speech and fine motor skills. I did discuss with Cassandra the bi-lingual aspect, but she still felt that Kiley should be making more sounds and words. Cassandra did confirm that children that are raised bi-lingual do take more time to speak. In fact she said they can be delayed up until they reach the age of five. Wow! She said however that it was/is great for children to be raised bi-lingual as it develops so many more areas of their brain. Nevertheless we need to take Kiley to another evaluation where they will pinpoint exactly what areas to target and what therapy (if any) to do. I guess I should have mentioned this before, but the program which we were referred to is the federal program (Early Steps_, therefore the "delay" falls under the ADA and is paid for the by the federal government. Cassandra said depending on what treatment is needed that the speech and physical therapist will come to our home to work with Kiley. That makes me feel better that way Kiley is in her environment. So the next step is going to another evaluation downtown. I am still trying to process of all this. I don't know if I am more worried now than before.

2 comments:

Betsy said...

Hmmm. I'm a bit surprised. But very glad you took K for an eval. You are a good, responsible, caring Mom. Sometimes the hardest part of being a Mom is seeing what's really there, not closing your eyes to it because it hurts too bad. I am so glad you are getting K help at a young age. Whatever delays there might be, she'll be okay.

Thought... have you had a hearing test performed for K? Speech, lang delay can occur from that. Happened w/ my brother and sister.

Big hugs coming your way.
Keep us updated.

Away2me said...

Early therapy is the key to improved results isn't it? Seems to me like you guys are right on the ball on this and should have fantastic success. Good luck, I'm sure everything will be fine.