Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Lifebooks

Ok so I have been debating whether to start a life book for K. I mean she has a baby book which I have (and I say this very sheepishly )have not been really good about keeping up to date. I am hanging my head really low now. So it will not surprise you guys when I question whether I will be really able to keep up (or start for that matter) a lifebook. However, I want K to have an understanding about Guatemala and her heritage. I also want her never to be ashamed that she is adopted. It has always been our plan to tell her she is adopted. We speak about it to her already. So I have heard and read that a lifebook helps in this avenue. So I come to you guys and ask:
1) Have you done/start a lifebook
2) Should I do a lifebook
2) If so, where have you gone to look for it. (preferably something I can do as I am not handy, or creative)

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Go for it :) I used this book as a guide for Dominic's lifebook: LifeBooks : Creating a Treasure for the Adopted Child (you can order it through Amazon). I know that your baby girl will treasure what you make for her :)

Away2me said...

I'm not doing a life book for Jake. I've got his baby book and then I have a photo album that has pictures of his bio family in it and his bio mom will send me updated photos of her, dad and siblings.

I want Jake to have a normal life, not an adopted child life. I think sometimes us adoptive moms try so hard to prove we are okay with adoption and prove that we are understanding of our child's potential feeling of loss that we forget about normalcy for them.

Teach her about Guat, take her there, keep up with her baby book and do a lifebook if you wish, but don't do it for the wrong reasons. Make sense?